Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I know it is just a Home run Derby...


Last night, I was watching to home run derby and more importantly as a life long Yankee fan I was watching Robinson Cano (NY Yankees second basemen). Let me give you a little background on how this derby works. There are 8 different batters 4 from each league (Nation and American league). As a batter you allowed to pick the person to throw pitches for you to hit.


photo taken from

I was extremely touched last night to watch Robinson Cano pick his father to throw "batting practice" and Mr. Cano was all business last night. He didn't even crack a smile last night during the competition. Once, Robinson won the home run derby (walkoff style) I teared up while watching Robinson jumping in his father's arms.

I was thinking about all the times that my dad coached my little league teams. I played little league baseball for close to 8 years and every season my dad was the coach. I remember trying to always impress my dad. I wasn't very good though! That never mattered to my dad, whether we won or lost it never seemed to matter very much. Actually, the only think that really mattered to him was if we tried our best and if the Umpire didn't stink. My dad got thrown out of his fair share of games... I remember one time he was talking to an umpire and kept offering the ump his glasses. Yeah, the argument didn't last long for my dad that day.


Last night I was also thinking how great it is going to be playing ball with my son!!! I just need to patient...

3 comments:

Nancy Heim July 12, 2011 at 2:43 PM  

I was just talking to Jamie's Jenn this past weekend about Boy's club, baseball and dad. What great timing. I guess there is a lesson for us all. I also thought about how much Jamie throws for Jonah each week, and comes to work with a dish rag arm. Like father, like son's I guess.

Rob Monroe July 13, 2011 at 10:26 PM  

I often have to remind myself that I have a lifetime to work all of my parenting-goals in! I was bummed to wait four years to get Abby into a canoe. We did that this weekend, and I am SO glad we had not done it yet - she totally got into it this time like she would not have before.

Justin July 14, 2011 at 9:48 AM  

Sometimes that is toughest lesson to learn: don't project our goals and desires onto our children. I am learning that lesson everyday

Justin