Wednesday, November 26, 2008

BECOMING OUR PARENTS...

Abby reminded me of someone the other day. I watched her stick out her tongue at her mom (I will stick my tongue out at Abby and Abby then sticks her tongue out at Rebecca)...
She reminds me of me...
I am realizing that I am becoming my father.

My father was the kind person who loved to laugh, cry, would get angry at times but i think he loved to tease the most.

I remember times when my dad would find me playing in my room (w/ GI JOES) and tell me that my mom wanted me right away down in the basement. Like a good little boy I would run down stairs and ask my mom what she needed....
"Nothing your father is teasing you again"
.
Every Thanksgiving when I would stumble down the stairs my Father would say... "You are brave... not everyone has their turkey yet..."
One Christmas Eve my father said that we were allowed to open one gift. So I choose the biggest gift under the tree. Well, he took my huge sterio box & wrapped 4 other boxs inside (each get smaller in size) until I finally got to my remote control. Then he would cave under the pressure and allow us to open the rest of our gifts (i think he liked the look on our face when would recieve what we wanted).

No matter what my dad did I always knew one thing.
.. "HE LOVED ME" He didn't always show the way I wanted... But he loved me...
So on Friday when I stood above his gravesite I was thinking...

What is Madilyn going to be like?
How am I different as a father this time around? God why did you take my dad away?


I haven't gotten many answers to these questions. Other than God told me to "Love Madilyn
(with all my heart, mind, soul, and strength) the way I was taught..." When I am not sure what to do... LOVE...

(I am certainly not ever going to do this)

3 comments:

Courtney @ splashing grace November 26, 2008 at 5:10 PM  

a wonderful tribute to your dad :) Praying for you guys as you go into another holiday season without him... and we think you're a pretty cool dad

Anonymous November 26, 2008 at 7:02 PM  

Justin, I love this post. I liked how you explained how you knew your dad loved you. This was great. I know personally how you feel because both my parents and Jim's parents passed on...it is very hard but the Lord does get you through. Continue to cherish what memories that you have. Have a blessed Thanksgiving with your family! Will be praying for you.....Darlene

Anonymous November 27, 2008 at 10:53 AM  

Justin, Every day I learn more and more how important memories are. More important than "stuff" because memories are LOVE. Time and memories have become abundently more precious than anything else in my life, please continue to make memories for Becca, Abby and Madilyn just like dad did for you! Thanksgiving is off to a great start. Love Mom