Monday, February 23, 2009

New York City (Weekend behind the wheel)

So this past weekend I had the pleasure of taking a team of people to New York City. NYC is my favorite place on earth (The Bahamas is very close second), I love the smells, business, all the people, and I love the sound of that city. However,this weekend was a little different for me than others that I spent in New York City.

You see, I went with 6 other people and 5 out of the 6 had never done any ministry in the city before. So I made up my mind that I would get out of the way and allow them to experience the city and people for themselves. I spent the most of the weekend behind a steering wheel. I prayed and watched as some people who had never spoken to strangers before about Jesus break out and even lead them in the “Sinner’s prayer” (ask Jesus to live through them and control their lives).

I saw smiles, tears, laughter, and times of self assessment (and pranks that I was not involved with). I watched as people tried to take in as much of this wonderful City as possible in two and half days. As I watched, I remembered why I love this city. The story goes like this…

I was a Jr. in college and I went NYC for some ministry for 6 weeks with the rest of my Jr. class. One day, as our time was drawing to an end, I was standing looking out a window next to a very dear friend of mine. We were just staring, no words or sounds, yet I knew that we were thinking the same thing… We couldn’t believe we had to leave this City in a couple of days. Then suddenly a voice from behind us uttered the words that I will never forget.

“This City… The moment you make it your home, it is time to leave” (The voice came from my school president Paul Johansson)

That is why I love NYC… It is untamable, it is a fierce city, this city able to take people’s best shot and it keeps moving like nothing happened. In the words of Frank Sinatra “If I can make there, I can make it anywhere…” New York City is truly a measuring stick.

Thanks for Reading
~ Justin
Ps. I will post more photos soon!

3 comments:

Anonymous February 23, 2009 at 7:43 PM  

Hi Justin, I am very interested in hearing how the trip went and how the ministry went....looking forward to Sunday..hoping you or someone will be telling us about the adventure! Dar

Deanna @ oneagleswings February 24, 2009 at 6:29 AM  

Great perspective! I never knew how much you loved NYC.

I loved the photos that you took.

Anonymous February 24, 2009 at 11:41 AM  

Justin, I love the NYC weekend update. I remember when dad and I went the first time, I was scared to death. It seemed like a foreign country. I would love to make another trip together and experience the real NYC of today.

Love Mom