Friday, April 24, 2009

Baseball...

So I am a huge Yankees Fan. I remember talking with pop (my dad) about the Yankees and how he grew up watching, routing and falling in love with players like Mickey Mantel or Roger Maris.

(Better known as the M&Ms boys..)


My dad told me stories of Babe Ruth


Babe Ruth saying goodbye to OLD Yankees Stadium on Old Timers Day

Jumping Joe DiMaggio (my favorite Yankee) and Yogi .


Jumpin Joe D.


Yogi Berra saying goodbye to Old Yankees Stadium

There were stories of Don Larsen, and Whitey Ford.


Yogi Berra jumping into Don Larsen's arms after his perfect game in game 5 of the world series.

So I grew up a Yankee fan as well. This weekend will be the first of a wonderful/treacherous weekend. You see the Yankees and Red sox are about to square off for the first of 18 times this season. To me this is what Baseball was invited for.

From The Babe and the curse, to Bucky Dent, REGGIE, REGGIE (Reggie Jackson)... Pedro and Don Zimmer, Aaron Boone and Curt Schilling and the bloody sock to the "biggest comeback in playoff history" and breaking the "86 year curse."

The biggest rivalry in sports is about to take off this weekend. I have no idea what is going to happen or even if it will be good baseball. I know that I will still be held captive and try to watch as much as possible. This weekend is why I love this game baseball so much. I have learned it from my dad (who was my brother and my first little league coach.) I am sure my dad (Poppa) is the reason why my nephew Jonah loves baseball. We have THE YANKEES in our blood and I am so thankful for it. I look forward to passing my love for this game until my children.



photos of me and my family at O's v. Yankees in Baltimore...
Madi isn't old enough to enjoy baseball so that's why she isn't in any of the photos


Abby already knows who my favorite player is... "DEREK JETHER" as she says it.


Derek Jeter during this year's spring training game in Florida

I just hope I enjoy the games this weekend!
Thanks for Reading
~ Justin
Photo credits: ALL Old Time PHOTOS ARE FROM INTERNET SEARCHES

3 comments:

Mom-Team Yogi April 24, 2009 at 12:50 PM  

This is a really neat blogg, you have hit the nail on the head. To further the "drama" Brian (Uncle Mikes stepson) is going to Fenway this weekend to root for the Red Sox, I will sure get a ear full from them about the series. Go Yankees!!!

Aaron Brazell April 25, 2009 at 12:50 AM  

1 down, 17 to go. Sox lead the season series 1-0. ;)

Justin April 25, 2009 at 12:30 PM  

Thanks Aaron... Man ONE MORE OUT!!! Or scoring a run one of the three times the Yankees had the bases loaded.