Friday, June 19, 2009

A gift for me?

This coming Sunday is normally a rough day for me... But this year is different... I will explain that later, but first let me tell you about an organization that I just joined up with. The other day I was checking my email and received something from an organization called:


The whole purpose of the organization is to align boys with a positive male role model. I think this states it best:
"The Mentoring Project is an organization that exists to inspire and equip the faith community to provide positive male role models to boys between the ages of 7 and 14. Founded in 2005, The Mentoring Project is the vision of Donald Miller, a best selling author who resides in Portland, Oregon."
Taken directly from the The Mentoring Project
If you want to learn more I, highly recommend visiting the site at: The Mentoring Project

If you donated money to the The Mentoring Project you could choose from a number of gifts that the company would send to your father by father's day. So I got something for me and I joined a cause that is very near to my heart.

For those who don't know me very well.. My dad died suddenly a little over 2 years ago to Colon Cancer. Which brings me to why Father's Day is normally a day that is rough for me. Usually, I sit around and think about my dad. I think about the lessons I learned from him, and I think about the things I didn't get to learn from him. I think about how much he loved me, my brother and sister. The thinking never really stops. But I realized something the other day. God has placed new dads in my life. They might not be my father, but God wants me to learn from each and every one of them. And I know that if my dad was still here, I wouldn't have learned very much from these men that God has placed in my life. Below are some photos of those "dads" God has placed in my life. Basically, these are the adult elephants helping to guide me through this time in my life.

Well, I just wanted to take a second of your time and attention to let you know about The Mentoring Project and ask you to hug a dad this coming Sunday.
God Bless to the Fathers around me...
Thanks for reading


This is my grandpa Heim during WWII





This is my brother with his middle son
teaching him how to play baseball!




This is Pastor Dave with his daughter Lila
Borrowed from: http://splashinggrace.blogspot.com/




Uncle Jim with Sharon... at her graduation




Uncle Jim with Abby!


Opa Lewis with Madi!


OPA!!!!


And of course my dad!
We were splashing each other by throwing rocks at one another
(This picture makes me cry almost every time I see it)



Pops with Abby!

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!
Remember to spend time with the BEST DADDY of ALL!
Justin









3 comments:

Sharon June 19, 2009 at 7:56 PM  

I am so thrilled that Donald Miller started that organization, he is so awesome...I know that God will bless it! I am happy that you are so interested...you would be a great mentor, and I know this because you are a great Dad. :)

p.s. Happy Father's Day (a little early)

Mom June 19, 2009 at 8:43 PM  

This is fantastic, I had a really great dream on Mother's day! maybe one for Father's day, I can only pray! Love Mom

Courtney @ splashing grace June 30, 2009 at 11:07 AM  

Happy (belated) Father's Day, Justin! your girls will grow up knowing they're very loved by their daddy.